3TV Silver Apple Award Information
3TV, Arizona’s Family, is back with its annual Silver Apple Awards honoring the state’s exceptional teachers. Nominations for this year’s class of recipients are being accepted now. A panel of judges will read student-written nomination essays and select eight teachers to receive the Silver Apple Award.
Teachers selected will receive:
- $500 scholarship
- a surprise in their classroom from either Gina Maravilla or Javier Soto, who will air a story about the teacher during Channel 3’s Good Morning Arizona and Good Evening Arizona news programs
- an invitation to a campaign celebration at the TV station
Silver Apple Award Official Rules
- No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning.
- The Silver Apple Award contest begins on Tuesday, September 4, 2018, and ends Thursday, March 7, 2019.
- Sponsor: KTVK, 5555 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85013.
- Eligibility: Any student enrolled in kindergarten through 12th grade in an accredited or licensed Arizona school located in the KTVK viewing area in the following counties: Apache, Coconino, Gila, Graham, Greenlee, Kingman, La Paz, Maricopa, Mohave, Navajo, Pinal and Yavapai, who is a legal resident of Arizona, may enter by submitting a completed official nomination form. In order to win, the nominated teacher must not have received this award before, must have taught during the 2017-2018 school year, and must accept prize as described herein.
Employees of Sponsor, and any other organizations affiliated with the sponsorship, fulfillment, administration, prize support, advertisement or promotion of the contest and/or their respective agents, affiliates, subsidiaries and members of their immediate families or household members are not eligible to enter or win. “Immediate family members” shall mean parents, step-parents, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses. “Household members” shall mean people who share the same residence at least three months a year. Winners of a prize from Sponsor within the past thirty (30) days from the beginning date of this contest are not eligible.
- How to Enter: Nomination forms are available at azfamily.com/silverapple, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Silver Apple Rules/Nomination form, KTVK, 5555 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85013.
In 100 written words or less, the nominator must state “Why This Teacher Is Special.” To be considered, an entry must be legible, signed by the entrant’s parent/guardian and school’s administrator (not the nominated teacher). By signing the entry, the entrant’s parent/guardian certifies that he/she has read these Official Rules and consents to all terms on behalf of the entrant. A supporting letter (50 words or less) by a parent or administrator also can be included, but is not required.
Entries may be submitted three ways: (1) by mail to KTVK/Silver Apple Award, 5555 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, (2) by fax to 602-207-3545, or (3) by hand delivery to KTVK/Silver Apple Award, 5555 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85013. All entries must be received by 5:00 p.m. on either Friday, October 12, 2018; Friday, January 11, 2019; or Thursday, February 28, 2019 to be eligible for the judging session following each respective deadline (three  judging sessions total).
A student may nominate more than one teacher; however, each nomination must be submitted on a separate nomination form. Only one student nominator per nomination form. Multiple students may nominate the same teacher, but each nomination must be the nominator’s original essay and each nomination will be treated individually by the judges. Nominations received in one judging cycle but not selected as a winner may be rolled over to subsequent judging cycles.
- Judging: On or about Monday, October 15, 2018, Monday, January 14, 2019 and Thursday, March 14, 2019, a panel of judges appointed by the station will judge eligible entries received prior to the respective deadline on the basis of each nominee’s:
- Demonstrated Commitment to Education (50%)
- Number of Eligible Nominations (10%)
- Creativity of the Nominations Made on his/her behalf (40%)
In October, the three (3) nominations with the highest overall scores will be selected as award recipients; in January, the two (2) nominations with the highest overall scores will be selected; and in March, the three (3) nominations with the highest overall scores will be selected (eight  recipients total). In the event of a tie, the winner will be the nomination with the highest score in the Demonstrated Commitment to Education category. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than eight (8) award recipients if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified nominations. The judges’ decisions are final and binding in all respects.
- Prizing and Notification: Following each judging session, a representative of Sponsor will contact the principal of the school where the selected teacher(s) work, as well as the parent(s) of the student(s) who nominated the selected teacher. Sponsor will work with principal to schedule a time when the selected teacher can be surprised and awarded the prize in their classroom. Award presentation will be filmed for use in a package to be aired at a later date.
Each award recipient will receive a Silver Apple Award trophy (approximate retail value: $50.00) and a $500 check to be used toward classroom projects or materials (approximate retail value: $500.00). One (1) prize per teacher.
Sponsor will determine all elements of prizes in its sole discretion. Prizes may not be assigned, transferred, or changed, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. The awarding of any prize is contingent upon full compliance with these Official Rules. Nominators agree to be bound by Official Rules and agree that if any nominator or nominee fails to provide proof of identity, refuses to provide required documentation, is found to have violated the Official Rules or otherwise does not meet eligibility criteria, prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner with the next highest score. Nominators and nominees understand that Sponsor is not liable for injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from participation in this promotion and acceptance, possession and use of prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prize. Decisions of Sponsor are final and binding in all respects. Teachers who have previously won a Silver Apple Award will not be eligible.
- Sponsor assumes no responsibility for nominations it is unable to process due to network, hardware or other technical failures; or any other reason, or incomplete, damaged, misdirected, illegible, postage due, stolen or lost entries. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or otherwise in violation of these Official Rules. Sponsor further reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate or modify this promotion if not capable of completion as planned, including infection by computer virus, technical corruption, non-authorized human intervention or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of the In the event of cancellation, Sponsor reserves the right to select winner(s) from among all eligible entries received prior to date of cancellation. The use of automated entry systems or any other conduct that impedes the integrity of the contest is prohibited.
- Releases: Nominators, their parent/guardian, and winning nominees (as a condition of prize acceptance) authorize the Sponsor to use their names, voices, likenesses, biographical data, city and state of residence and entry materials in promotional material and for advertising, public relations and editorial purposes worldwide, in perpetuity, or on a winner’s list, if applicable, without further compensation unless prohibited by law. Sponsor is not obligated to use any of the above-mentioned information or materials, but may do so and may edit such information or materials, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, without further obligation or compensation.
- General: Except where prohibited by law: (i) entry constitutes permission for Sponsor to use winning nominators’ entries, names, hometowns, likenesses, photographs, voices and statements regarding this contest in all media now known or hereafter discovered, for any purpose, including without limitation, in connection with, and to promote, market or advertise, the contest, in whole or in part, without review, approval, credit or attribution, notification or payment from or to entrant or any person or entity, worldwide, in perpetuity, or on a winner’s list, if applicable; (ii) potential winning nominees will be required to complete and return a Release within five (5) business days of notification granting permission for Sponsor to use nominees’ names, hometowns, likenesses, photographs, voices, statements regarding this contest and information in nominators entries in all media now known or hereafter discovered, for any purpose, including without limitation, in connection with, and to promote, market or advertise, the contest, in whole or in part, without review, approval, credit or attribution, notification or payment from or to any person or entity, worldwide, in perpetuity, or on a winner’s list, if applicable. If a potential winning nominee cannot be contacted, fails to claim the prize, fails to timely respond to the winner notification or fails to timely complete and return a Release, the potential winning nominee is disqualified, the prize is forfeited, and will be awarded to an alternate winner with the next highest score. By participating and winning a prize, winning nominators and their parents/guardians, and winning nominees release Sponsor, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and agents, and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents from any and all liability with respect to the prize won and participation in the contest. Subject to all U.S. federal, Arizona state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. Applicable taxes are the sole responsibility of the winning nominees.
- Winners’ List: For the list of winning nominees, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope after Friday, May 31, 2019 to Winners’ List/3TV Silver Apple Awards, at the Sponsor’s address above.
- Official rules and nomination forms are available at azfamily.com/silverapple or by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Silver Apple Rules/Nomination form, KTVK, 5555 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85013.